Chocolate Cake Recipe (Gluten & Dairy-Free)
Updated: Apr 9, 2021
One of the first things I ever baked was chocolate cake and since then I've probably tried more than a hundred different recipes (yes, I bake a lot) and most of them contain dairy and gluten.
I have quite a few friends who are dairy and/or gluten intolerant so, throughout the years, I've tried to adapt some of the recipes I encountered. This is one that has not failed me yet:
You will need:
For the cake:
1 cup sugar
1 cup gluten free flour
1 ts baking powder (gluten free)
50 ml vegetable or sunflower oil/vegetable spread
50 ml water/soy milk
1 ts vanilla essence
2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the chocolate filling:
150 g vegetable/dairy free spread
200 g dark chocolate (melted)
2 tbs cocoa powder
2 tbs icing sugar
Optional: 50g peanuts/raisins/cranberry/dried fruit
1. Preheat the oven at 180 fan/gas 4. Mix the flower, baking powder and cocoa powder together.
2. Add the eggs, sugar, oil , vanilla essence and water and mix everything until the batter becomes smooth.
3. Pour the batter into two tins and bake for 30-35 min (until a toothpick insterted in the middle of the cake comes out clean) then leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile, break the chocolate into pieces and melt it either in the microwave* or a bain marie** (preferably) and leave it to cool down for a few minutes.
5. In a bowl, combine the dairy free spread with the melted chocolate, icing sugar and cocoa powder then add the peanuts/dried fruit.
6. Sandwich the two layers using half of the chocolate mixture as filling, and use the other half to cover the whole cake.
*To microwave the chocolate, place it in a bowl and microwave for 20 seconds, take the bowl out and give it a stir, then repeat this whole process until the chocolate is fully melted.
**For bain marie - place the heathproof bowl on top of a pan with simmering water and let the chocolate melt, stirring ocasionally.
If you try this recipe please let me know how it turned out in the comments.
I hope life is treating you well.