Apple and Cinnamon Oat Crumble (Gluten and Dairy Free Recipe)
Updated: Apr 9, 2021
As I said before, Apple Cinnamon Oat Crumble is a must in my house. Variation to the usual is welcome, but this one is the winner most days. It's quite easy to make and it lasts for a few days in the fridge, so if you're considering meal prepping and need ideas for breakfast, maybe give this a go.
You will need:
For the Apple filling:
12 medium apples ( cored and chopped as desired)
100g caster sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Crumble:
100g sugar (golden caster preferably, but white caster sugar can be used as well)
120g gluten free flour
240g dairy free spread
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Core the apples and chop them as desired (my suggestion would be 1-2 cm chunks, see picture above)
2. Put them in a saucepan with the sugar, cinnamon and raisins and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes. They need to be a bit cooked, but not fully, as they're going to go in the oven soon. I do this mostly so the apples taste more cinnamony also so I don't have to burn the crumble just to be sure I don't have raw apples at the bottom of the dish.
3. Transfer the apples to a 25X35 cm oven dish (or similar), even out the surface and let them cool down a bit.
4. While the apples are cooling, make the crumble mixture. In a bowl, mix with your fingers the oats, flour, sugar, dairy free spread and vanilla extract until the mixture looks like large breadcrumbs,
5. Spread the mixture on top of the apples. If you can, use demerara or golden caster but white caster sugar does the job too. Darker types of sugar give the crumble even more flavour and a more golden colour, but if white sugar is all you have in the house, don't worry, your crumble will still taste delicious.
6. Preheat the oven at 200C/gas 6 and bake for 30-35 minutes (or until golden brown).
7. Leave it to rest for at least 10 minutes and serve with vanilla custard (dairy free if that's your thing). If you're not a fan of custard, either enjoy it as it is or you can chop a few strawberries and sprinkle them on top.
I hope life is treating you well.